Thursday, February 4, 2010

Seeing Avatar In Paris


Today I saw James Cameron's 15 years in the making mega Hollywood blockbuster saga Avatar in Paris, in French, in 3-D at 17:15 with a near capacity audience from age 5 to age 75.

Just as I struggle with my knowledge of French and often have to say, "How do I say," mais oui, it's a great cinematic triumph forging the technological art of filmmaking; however the story is as old as D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation.

By now most have seen Avatar, I'll just sum it up. Greedy American businessmen in the year 2154 go to another planet (Polyphemus) and steal it's natural resources -- again. A big altercation takes place and Jake saves the day -- again. Of course there is a love story between Jake and the prettiest bravest Na'vi female. Polyphemus is inhabitant by the Na'vi.

Avatar is a complete visual feast. The story is completely conventional and that would be its chief deficiency. Are you engaged in the story or the visual effects creating the story? Or both? Or neither?

I'd rather watch 80s throwback Flashdance - what a feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment